Bank accounts are opened and managed by credit institutions upon request and on behalf of one or more users of payment services (client) for the execution of payment transactions. All the details relating to the terms and conditions for opening, managing and closing a transaction account are stated in a framework agreement concluded between a credit institution and payment services users and used by the credit institution as a basis for opening a transaction account. As credit institution offer different terms and conditions and functionalities relating to transaction accounts, the final selection of the credit institution in which an individual transaction account will be opened has to be preceded by comparison of different offers, followed by actual decision in accordance with individual needs.
Persons eligible for opening an account in a credit institution
As a rule, any person of age may open a transaction account, regardless of whether he/she has regular inflows into the account. Subject to parents' (legal guardian's or legal representative's) approval, minors may also have a current account while giro accounts may be opened for minors for the purpose of inflows from scholarships, awards won at competitions and work of pupils and students in services/associations, seasonal or other similar jobs.
Things to be taken into consideration prior to a decision on account opening
Depending on an individual's wishes, several factors may be crucial for the selection of a credit institution. When opening a transaction account, one is advised to take into consideration one's habits, the types of banking and financial services one wishes to use and the frequency of use. Once the wishes and needs are defined, but before final selection is made, one should collect all the information and pay particular attention to:
- account opening costs;
- monthly account management fees;
- additional options offered with account opening;
- all types of fees associated with a transaction account;
- the amount of these fees, their variability and what it is contingent upon;
- daily limits (restrictions) on ATM withdrawals;
- the number of ATMs a credit institution has and their locations (ATM and operating units' network distribution);
- the level of interest on the positive balance in the account; and
- the terms and conditions governing account closing.
Bank account opening
A credit institution will open a current account or a giro account based on a framework contract concluded with the user of payment services. The framework contract regulates in detail the conditions for opening and managing that account. When opening an account, a credit institution is obligated to:
- determine your identity;
- carry out other procedures in accordance with the regulation governing the prevention of money laundering and terrorist financing; and
- obtain all the information it is obligated to submit in accordance with the Ordinance on the unified register of accounts regulating the contents of the unified register of accounts in the Republic of Croatia.
USEFUL INFORMATION: Bearing in mind that the card provides you with easy access to your account, it is of utmost importance to make sure that you have taken all the possible measures to reduce the possibility of its abuse. For instance, you should never keep your PIN together with the card.
Bank account structure
Since 1 June 2013, the International Bank Account Number (IBAN) has been used in the Republic of Croatia as the mandatory standard. IBAN is an international standard for bank account numeration. The Croatian bank account structure consists of 21 alphanumeric characters, as follows:
- HR is the country code in accordance with ISO 3166-1;
- Check digits have two digits;
- The number of credit institution consists of seven digits;
- The transaction account consists of ten digits.
IBAN structure is the same for all accounts (current accounts, giro accounts, special accounts protected from enforcement, etc.).
The correct account structure in official documents and orders for manual processing of payment transactions consists of alphanumeric characters, grouped in fours, beginning with the first character (e.g. HR64 3465 2081 1002 8931 0).